This is a 30-day course in porcelain making.
In this course, you will learn to make ceramics in underglaze blue and celadon porcelain. You will learn at your own pace and according to your own abilities. The programme will vary depending on your skills.
In the first half of the programme, you will learn “Sometsuke” (white pottery and porcelain decorated under the glaze with a blue pigment) using regular porcelain clay (regular porcelain), and in the second half, you will learn Celadon glazed pottery using high-grade porcelain (high porcelain).
The course is aimed at intermediate-level students and above, but as it requires a high level of technical skills, even experienced students may be required to undergo a week of basic training before starting the programme.
Intermediate and advanced students
10:00 – 17:00
- We use a 55cm x 60cm x 60cm gas kiln.
- Please understand that there are limits to the size and number of pieces that can be fired.
- We will determine the timing of the firing.
- We aim to fire the pieces during your stay, but if we are unable to do so in time, we will send them to you after firing.
Please see this page for information on the guest rooms in which you will be staying.
Please contact us for further information.
What the fee includes
- Fees for use of facilities and tools
- Materials (regular porcelain clay, high-grade porcelain clay, glazes, etc.)
- Gas kiln usage and firing fees (one unglazed and one fired)
- Teaching fees
- Accommodation costs for 29 nights
- Utilities at the guest house
- Return transport to and from JR Tajimi station (first and last day)
Items not included in the price
- Transport costs
- Food and drink costs
- Packing and delivery costs for fired works (please pay in cash)
Period of stay
The period of stay* can be tailored to your desired dates, from a minimum of 25 days (24 nights) to a maximum of 30 days (29 nights).
*) People who do not make pottery are not permitted to stay.
- 10% of the total cost must be paid within 7 days of application.
- The remaining full amount must be paid at least one month before your intended stay.
Methods of payment
- PayPal (credit card payment)
- Bank transfer
- 30 to 15 days before booking: 30% of the fee
- 14 days to 1 day before the booking: 50% of the fee
- Cancellation on the day: 100% of the fee
- Cancellation without notice: 100% of the fee