This Raku training programme lasts for 30 days.
In this course, you will learn traditional Japanese Raku pottery. The programme will vary depending on your objectives.
Learn about Raku, which has been popular in the tea ceremony world since the Momoyama period – the final phase of the Sengoku period (戦国時代, Sengoku jidai) in Japanese history from 1568 to 1600.
The pottery is mainly made by hand building (tebineri) and slab building, or the Itazukuri technique. Today, Raku is mostly fired in gas or electric kilns, but in this course, firing is carried out in a wood-fired kiln, which produces a natural and tasteful finish.
Beginners, intermediate and advanced students
10:00 – 17:00
- We are using a gas kiln for the unglazed firing and a firewood kiln for the final firing.
- Please understand that there are limits to the size and number of pieces that can be fired.
- We will determine the timing of the firing.
Please see this page for information on the guest rooms in which you will be staying.
Please contact us for further information.
What the fee includes
- Facility and tool use fees
- Materials (Raku white clay, Raku red clay, glazes, etc.)
- Gas kiln use and wood-fired kiln firing fees (one unglazed firing and one final firing)
- Teaching fees
- Accommodation costs for 29 nights
- Guest house utilities
- Return transport to and from JR Tajimi station (first and last day)
Items not included in the price
- Transport costs
- Food and drink costs
- Packing and delivery costs for fired works (please pay in cash)
Period of stay
The period of stay* can be tailored to your desired dates, from a minimum of 25 days (24 nights) to a maximum of 30 days (29 nights).
*) People who do not make pottery are not permitted to stay.
- 10% of the total cost must be paid within 7 days of application.
- The remaining full amount must be paid at least one month before your intended stay.
Methods of payment
- PayPal (credit card payment)
- Bank transfer
- 30 to 15 days before booking: 30% of the fee
- 14 days to 1 day before the booking: 50% of the fee
- Cancellation on the day: 100% of the fee
- Cancellation without notice: 100% of the fee