This Shino training programme lasts for 30 days.
The course uses traditional glazes, and you will learn at your own skill level and pace. The content of the programme will depend on your skills. In some cases, even those with experience may have to go through a week of basic training before they are allowed to start the programme.
Along with Oribe and Kizeto, Shino is the region’s most well-known pottery, and it reached its height of popularity during the Momoyama era (1573–1600), when it was primarily used as tea ware. A wide variety of Shino ceramics are produced today for both everyday use and tea ceremonies.
Beginners, intermediate and advanced students
10:00 – 17:00
- We use a gas kiln measuring 55 cm x 60 cm x 60 cm. It has very long firing times and takes three days to fire.
- Participants in this course will be asked to manage the kiln together during the firing process.
- In some cases, firing may occur concurrently with the work of other guests, in which case you may be unable to specify a specific firing method.
- Please understand that there are limits to the size and number of pieces that can be fired.
- We will determine the timing of the firing. We aim to fire the pieces during your stay, but if we are unable to do so in time, we will send them to you after firing.
Please see this page for information on the guest rooms in which you will be staying.
Please contact us for further information.
What the fee includes
- Facility and tool rental fee
- Materials (moxa clay, glaze, etc.)
- Gas kiln use and firing fees (one unglazed firing and one fired 本焼成)
- Instruction fee
- Accommodation costs for 29 nights
- Utilities at the guest house
- Transportation to and from JR Tajimi Station (first and last day)
Items not included in the price
- Transport costs
- Food and beverage expenses
- Packing and delivery costs for fired works (please pay in cash)
Period of stay
The period of stay* can be tailored to your desired dates, from a minimum of 25 days (24 nights) to a maximum of 30 days (29 nights).
*) People who do not make pottery are not permitted to stay.
- 10% of the total cost must be paid within 7 days of application.
- The remaining full amount must be paid at least one month before your intended stay.
Methods of payment
- PayPal (credit card payment)
- Bank transfer
- 30 to 15 days before booking: 30% of the fee
- 14 days to 1 day before the booking: 50% of the fee
- Cancellation on the day: 100% of the fee
- Cancellation without notice: 100% of the fee